Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TIP Update

We had last week off for "Energy Break," so there wasn't any real progress made on my TIP. I have two current users of Moodle and have just talked to two more(A high school English teacher and an elementary school teacher) who will implement something in the next week or two.

It seems as though time is the biggest issue for most teachers so far. It's hard for teachers, especially those who are less computer savvy, to learn something new to use in their classes even if they want to. I don't have much trouble convincing teachers that it is a useful tool, but it seems to be quite a big task to actually convince them it's worth the extra time they'd need to put in to actually use it. My thought is if I get a few people on board this year that find it really useful, other people will be more apt to use it in the future.

1 comment:

Celeste R said...

Hi Matt,

I finally got around to reading your TIP. How impressive! Your foresight and questions (survey as well as contextual) are so very focused. I was equally impressed with subquestion 3...how you worked "RAT" into your research. I was intrigued. I do believe many teachers do use whatever technology they can without much thought as to its purpose. With that being said, I agree that time, the learning curve and comfort level are huge obstacles in getting teachers to use new technologies.

I had 5 teachers willing to use Gaggle. 3 elementary, 1 middle and 1 high school. Just last week, I dropped the 2 in our high school. I found myself overwhelmed and on different schedules and servers as the teachers in the high school. I will be training the middle school teacher and her students next week, just to get them started. But, they will not be part of my research. They have their own ET, but he doesn't believe in Gaggle...which means HE doesn't know it.

As for your question about elementary school, the kids have no problem, they learn quickly and aren't afraid of technology...only their teachers are :)

This is my first year in an elementary school and I am amazed by how quickly the smaller students learn...they are sponges. I also believe technology is as natural to them as pencil and paper!

Good luck!